Founded in 1981 by John Graham, Churchill's was the first British Port wine company to have been established in over 50 years. Churchill's Port grew from John Graham's desire to continue his family's Port making tradition by setting up a company to produce his own, individual style of wine. It was his wife, Caroline Churchill, who provided the company with its name. In 1999, Churchill's bought Quinta da Gricha, a 50 hectare Grade "A" Vineyard estate situated on the south bank of the River Douro between Pinhao and Tua. All Churchill's ports are produced at the Quinta da Gricha winery in the traditional granite "lagares" or treading tanks built in 1852. Since the acquisition of the Quinta da Gricha vineyards, Churchill's has also been developing a table wine business. Churchill's is today positioned in the industry as a high quality "boutique" Port and Duoro Wine Company, specializing in premium Port and Duoro Wine categories.